Vault of Thoughts

2006-08-02

Please visit my new blog at vaultofthoughts.net

Visual Studio 2005, LINQ and Refactoring Problems

I haven't played with it a lot but but the most obvious was the far from complete support from the IDE. Given it is not a complete product I'm not blaming MS for it. What I blame MS for is the fact that installing LINQ is a destructive process i.e.: it damages some of the existing features of VS 2005.


For me the One thing that hurt the most was the fact that the refactoring SmartTags stopped working from a keyboard shortcut and that the Refactor option was missing from the context menu of the code window.


Since I could not imagine working without some useful shortcuts I started the process to recover the lost features. I've tried to reset the shortcuts from Tools-Options-General-Keyboard menu but it had no effect. Next I have tried to reset all settings using Tools-Import and Export Settings - no effect. Next there came Google.


I have found and that someone had a similar problem and there was a solution. Few posts from the top there is a 4 steps instruction (which didn't work for me) and than a 5th step which finally worked. I'm putting the stepps I have followed in for your convenience:



  1. Start up RegEdit.exe

  2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{A066E284-DCAB-11D2-B551-00C04F68D4DB}\SatelliteDLL

  3. Edit the "Path" value and change it from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC#\VCSPackages\1033\" to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC#\VCSPackages\"

  4. Restart Visual Studio and see if these problems are fixed?

  5. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE and run devenv /setup followed by devenv /resetuserdata followed by devenv /resetsettings CSharp.


All this stuff makes me wonder. I have been using beta software since I have learned using computers but I cannot remember having this kind of problems. Maybe the betas I use are not as complicated as Microsoft products but hey! They are not developed by the army of developers!


kick it on DotNetKicks.com

If you liked this article why not support its author by making a donation?

3 Comments:

  • It is beta, and it is introducing some basic feature breaking innovations. :)

    So before use of beta, you really should evaluate it on a separate machine.

    I myself am looking foward for the next beta release. (with the bugfixes thank you :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 AM  

  • It worked! Thanks a lot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 PM  

  • I installed Resharper demo version on my system and after uninstalling it i lost most of the shortcuts....

    Now it works.... Thanks a lot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home