Vault of Thoughts

2006-06-02

Please visit my new blog at vaultofthoughts.net

Understanding TDD by implementing MembershipProvider

I have always wondered how practical if at all is writing the test first. Now, for me the most questionable thing was the fact that working in such a way I do not get any help from the editor. It came to me as a surprise that not only I do not miss the intellisense telling me what parameters I must pass to the method I’m about to call but I get a far more powerful feature instead...


I had already modeled the problem domain in classes. One of those classes was the User class. Now the time came to create a custom MembershipProvider that will integrate smothly with my classes. The classes of course were not created with the Membership feature in mind, so it was obvious that some methods will need to be implemented. I have started coding. At first I have created MyMembershipProvider and inherited it from the MembershipProvider class. Next I have moved to implementing each method. Suppose that I have started with nothing more than an empty User class declaration. The first method to implement on the MyMembershipProvider was the ChangePassword method. I have started typing:



Note that there are no methods to chose from, so I start typing the desired method name:



Once I get to the end Visual Studio detects that there is no such method defined on the User class and offers me an option to generate it (using the smart tag - ALT+SHIFT+F10). Of course I use the feature and what I get in the User class is a static GetUset method with two string parameters named after the variables I have used. The method also returns a user object. It also throws an Exception with message that the method is not implemented (I wonder why not the NotImplementedException). I have implemented the whole MyMembershipProvider in such a way and it went really smothly.


It is not hard to imagine what would happen if the place I first write the GetUser method is in fact a test method and the whole implementation of MembershipProvider is in fact a NUnit TestFixture. We would have a test-first written fragment of code which is what TDD is all about.


I strongly encourage everyone to try this approach. It is not only possible but it also leads to a much cleaner solution with only those methods that you really need and not the ones you think you will probably sometime use.


kick it on dotnetkicks.com

If you liked this article why not support its author by making a donation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home